Welcome to the Bushcraft Biker Blog

Bushcraft techniques, kit reviews, fire-lighting, motorcycle camping, knife making

Thursday, 18 February 2010

Bushcraft knife in Lacewood - Project No 4

Late last year I bought a very well made blade from maker HillBill as it was a little different from the norm and there was just something about it I liked. After having a good think about what I wanted to handle it in, I chose Lacewood and managed to source some lovely mosaic pins around the same time.

The blade is 01 steel, 3mm with a 4 1/2 inch handle and around 3 inch blade. It is scandi grind with a very micro bevel. It's shaving sharp as my arm can testify.

I decided with the lacewood to go with black liners so as not to detract from the beautiful wood. I also decided to go for a more rounded handle this time, still loosely coke-bottle shaped but a bt more chunky to give a good grip. I also remembered to line up the mosaic pins this time. I went with a smaller lanyard hole with brass tube than I have before due to it's closeness to the edge of the blade and as I like a lanyard hole. As lacewood isn't the most stable of woods for a knife handle I've been told, I soaked the handle in linseed oil overnight which has darkened the wood but is a bit more practical as this will be another user. It's finished to 600 grit then gone over with fine steel wool.

For the sheath I decided to try something a bit different this time. It's British Tan Fiebings dye, with a kind of strip application which I like. I also didn't wet form the sheath this time for a change and used a white waxed lined thread just to be different. I'm not sure of the results but it's growing on me and most importantly holds the knife securely.

Next time I'm going to try some camel bone or stag for a handle and maybe a smaller blade or a folder....

No comments:

Post a Comment